International Medical Corps is a global, humanitarian, nonprofit organization dedicated to saving lives and relieving suffering through health care training and relief and development programs. Established in 1984 by volunteer doctors and Nurses, International Medical Corps is a private, voluntary, nonpolitical, nonsectarian organization. Its mission is to improve the quality of life through health interventions and related activities that build local capacity in underserved communities worldwide. By offering training and health care to local populations and medical assistance to people at highest risk, and with the flexibility to respond rapidly to emergency situations, International Medical Corps rehabilitates devastated health care systems and helps bring them back to self-reliance.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Engineer
Location: Shani, Borno
Employment Type: Full-time
- The Engineer is responsible to support all activities which involve any need for engineering input including the construction of shallow wells, establishment or rehabilitation of irrigation systems, tree nurseries, fabrication of briquette making machines and servicing and repairs for sewing machines and groundnut milling machines.
- S/he will train beneficiaries on basic maintenance skills for these machines.
- The technician / engineer will provide technical and programmatic support covering the project locations.
- S/He will be responsible for the supervision of construction works.
- Other responsibilities will include field assessments to formulate designs for new works or rehabilitations at field sites, working with sector focal persons, community members and local authorities.
- Together with Program Director, Project Manager, Nutrition Coordinator and program staff, s/he participates in defining intervention priorities, develop necessary contacts and relationships with government, non-government, donors and UN agencies at the field level, and contributes to the development of strategies and management of resources in Shani LGA.
- Conducts field technical assessments, and produces designs and bills of quantities for construction works.
- Monitors contractors’ work for compliance with schedule, budget, quality, safety, and overall conformance with the contract documents.
- Reviews contract documents and assists with procurement, pre-bid conferences, and evaluations.
- Coordinates construction activities with requesting sectors.
- Attends to field construction challenges in coordination with sectors, contractors, and management as necessary.
- Attends progress meetings, develops status reports and delivers presentations as required.
- Assists in negotiating with contractors regarding changes to design, construction work scope, and construction schedules.
- Develops and implements a quality audit program, monitors contractor corrective actions, and ensures a quality project conforming to plans and specifications.
- Certifies works for completion.
- Monitors payment claims from contractors.
- Supports organizational safety protocols and complies with all safety rules, policies, and procedures; maintains accountability for safety performance at all construction sites.
- Facilitates the authorization of all approved drawings and designs by relevant government departments.
- Liaise with the Logistics and Procurement Department to ensure that the resources required for the engineering works for the project activities are acquired timely.
- Represent IMC at external stakeholder meetings as necessary in coordination with the Project Manager.
- Coordinate field activities with other IMC teams.
- Contribute to maximum visibility of the organization amongst the Government of Nigeria, and NGO/UN community.
- Contribute to the creation of a positive image and overall credibility of the organization, notably through the application of the organization’s Code of Conduct, values and stand-point with regard to internal and external actors.
- Maintain open lines of communication with all field staff and service departments and a good working atmosphere.
- Contribute to program biweekly/monthly reports, donor reports and proposals.
- Support in tracking the progress of activities, challenges encountered, lessons learned and good practices and compile collected data, pictures and other information from the field.
- Pass on any information or problems to his/her direct and/or indirect supervisor concerning his/her task, IMC programs, or safety aspects.
- Compile information to ensure that in his/her assigned area of implementation of the program expected result is achieved.
Logistic and Administration:
- Contribute to the definition of the needs in materials and tools regarding the program and the planning of interventions.
- Ensure the safety and good condition of all material provided by IMC for project work.
- Inform the Project Manager in case of security incidents or any security information.
- Ensure the follow-up and the proper use of materials and tools used during on-site work.
- Submit regular cash requests and forecasts based on activity needs.
- With technical support from Project Manager, Finance Director and HR Coordinator, ensures that IMC Finance and HR procedures are implemented and respected.
- Coordinate with budget holders and Finance unit to ensure adequate support for program operations under her/him.
- With the budget holder, ensure that activities and expenses related to engineering work are regularly monitored and, as needed, action plans with follow-up are developed to correct any over- or underspending in a timely manner.
Professional Skills and Qualifications
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering.
- Minimum of 3 years engineering experience in design of construction works especially for food security and livelihoods programming, including WFP-funded projects.
- Proficiency in common computer packages i.e., Word, Excel, Power point etc.
- Ability to design, produce bills of quantities and specifications and provide effective construction supervision of multiple construction projects in the field.
- Ability to assess the operational effectiveness of contractors.
- Fluency in written and spoken English including communication skills for effective reporting.
- Effective in making objective technical assessments and certifying works for completion.
- Strong knowledge of engineering drawing applications (AutoCAD) and project management applications.
- Ability to produce clear engineering drawings and specifications.
- Strong initiative, flexible and able to plan and implement work plan with minimum supervision.
- Willingness to take challenges and to work in difficult conditions.
Personal qualifications needed for the position:
- Familiarity with and previous work experiences in Shani LGA is preferred
- Able to speak local languages (i.e., Hausa, Kanakuru and Bura) of Shani LGA
- Able, willing, and committed to work with people from different backgrounds.
- Contribute constructively to a working environment based on mutual respect, trust, and commitment.
- Able to cope with stress and work under any challenging circumstances.
Compliance & Ethics:
- Promotes and encourages a culture of compliance and ethics throughout International Medical Corps. As applicable to the position, maintains a clear understanding of International Medical Corps’ and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards. Conducts work with the highest level of integrity.
Application Closing Date
24th May, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications and CV in a single MS Word Document to “the Human Resource Coordinator, International Medical Corps” via: email@example.com using the Job Title and Location as the subject of the mail.
- Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Due to the urgent need for the position applications received will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- International Medical Corps never asks job applicants for a fee, payment, or other monetary transaction. If you are asked for money in connection with this recruitment, please report to International Medical Corps at the reporting email address provided at the end of this document. International Medical Corps’ Reporting email address: www.InternationalMedicalCorps.ethicspoint.com
- Please do not submit your CV or application to the reporting email address, it will not be considered for review
- Adhere strictly to the application instructions, otherwise, applications will not be considered.
- International Medical Corps is proud to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or status as a veteran.