The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Education Officer
Reference No.: req14224
Location: Damaturu, Yobe
Employment Type: Full-Time
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Open to Expatriates: No
IRC Nigeria Program
The IRC has been present in Nigeria since 2012 when the organization responded to flooding in Kogi state. In February 2014, the IRC moved into Adamawa State in North East Nigeria to provide humanitarian interventions through a multi-sectoral, integrated approach for conflict affected populations. IRC Nigeria now operates a country office in Abuja and field offices in Mubi and Yola of Adamawa State, Maiduguri and Monguno of Borno state and Damatru of Yobe State. The IRC is responding at scale to the humanitarian situation across sectors including Education, Child Protection, Health, Nutrition, Women Protection and Empowerment, Environmental Health, Economic Recovery and Development, Protection and Rule of Law, and Governance.
Job Overview / Summary
- The IRC is implementing a two-year education project “Improving Access to Education for Conflict-Affected Children in Northeast Nigeria,” also known as Educate A Child Project, across the BAY states between November 2020 and October 2022. The project will reach 20,000 out of school children in Borno, Adamawa and Yobe States with quality non-formal education services, including literacy, numeracy, and social-emotional skills.
- The Education Officer will be responsible for the overall coordination of the EAC activities in Borno or Yobe State, ensures that project activities are delivered on time. This position is based in Gwoza or Damaturu and reports to the State Education Manager.
- Coordinate effective implementation of all EAC activities in the state.
- Oversee training, coaching and on-going support for teachers, tutors and learning facilitators in order to improve instructional practices in literacy, numeracy and social and emotional skills.
- Oversee the selection of learning facilitators (teachers) and tutors for the intervention and contribute to tools for selection such as assessment tools.
- Facilitate and coordinate training of learning facilitators, as well as their continuous professional development.
- Monitor progress towards the objectives and intended outputs pertaining to teacher education using routine data, spot checks, observation, and other methodologies.
- Provide regular written and verbal reports on education activities to supervisor.
- Promote the quality of non-formal education activities by setting up quality assurance mechanisms and checks in collaboration with other staff.
Key Working Relationships:
- Position Reports to: Education Manager (state)
- Position directly supervises: Learning Facilitators Team Leads and Learning Facilitators
- Indirect Reporting: Education Manager (EAC Project).
- University degree in education, social sciences, or any other relevant field
- At least three years of relevant professional experience with an international or civil society organization, including direct implementation of education programming.
- At least three years of experience related to teacher professional development.
- Experience working with displaced or otherwise marginalized communities required.
- Strong verbal communication skills and effective in representation and liaison with external actors
- Excellent spoken and technical writing ability in English, including report writing and Hausa proficiency preferred.
- Good computer skills in programs including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Good leadership skills
- Good administrative skills
- Ability to work under pressure in challenging working and living conditions.
- IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Standards of Professional Conduct:
- The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons and several others.
- IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online