African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Division Manager, Interpretation, CHLS3
Location: Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50093026
- The Vice-Presidency, Corporate Services and Human Resources Complex (CHVP), ensures the delivery of efficient, people-centered, client-oriented, corporate services to ensure overall institutional effectiveness in all aspects of the Bank’s corporate services.
- The complex leads efforts to ensure the competitiveness of the Bank as the employer of choice and is responsible for providing leadership in the formulation and implementation of Bank’s strategies on people, IT, general services and institutional procurements, language services, business continuity, and health and safety strategies.
The Hiring Department / Division:
- The primary role of the Language Services Department is to ensure, as required by the Bank’s Agreement, the accessibility in the two working languages of the Bank (English and French, and on occasion Arabic and Portuguese) of all issues and documents submitted to Senior Management and governing bodies of the Bank, for efficient decision-making aimed at the achievement of the Bank’s mission.
- In this regard, the Department accords high priority to ensuring an accurate and effective flow of communication within the Bank, and also between the Bank, its shareholders, development partners and the public at large, by providing the highest quality of translation, interpretation and terminological services to the Institution. It also seeks to promote multilingualism to enhance communication among staff with the Bank’s clients and partners.
- The Interpretation Division provides interpretation services for the meetings of the Boards of Governors, the Boards of Directors and their subsidiary organs, and for various meetings of other organizational units as well as for meetings co-organized by the Bank with external stakeholders and development partners. The work of the Division contributes to effective communication between the Management and officers of the Bank, the authorities of member countries, officials from other organizations, etc. through cost-effective interpretation.
Under the general supervision of the Director, Language Services Department, the Division Manager, Interpretation Division will:
- Draft policies, rules and standards to govern interpretation Bank-wide.
- Ensure that quality interpretation services are provided at all meetings and events organized by the Bank at Headquarters or abroad, or at other events to which the Bank is party.
- Analyze meeting interpretation requests and decide on the need for and level of outsourcing.
- Facilitate the use of English and French as working languages within the Bank Group.
- Continually review and implement practical guidelines and procedures for the efficient delivery of interpretation services.
- Contribute to effective communication between the Management and officers of the Bank, the authorities of member countries, officials from other organizations etc. by ensuring the provision of cost-effective and quality interpretation services at meetings.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Review requests for interpretation and assign interpreters both staff and freelance accordingly.
- Review the Annual Meetings Programme and determine the number of freelance interpreters to be recruited to service all the meetings in English, French, Arabic and Portuguese (as well as any other languages required) and follow up on all the arrangements related to travel, accommodation and payments.
- Lead, manage and supervise the work of staff in the Division.
- Assess training needs of staff in the Division and in a participatory manner, formulate customized training programmes and follow-up with CHHR for implementation.
- Monitor and evaluate the performance of staff interpreters in accordance with the Bank’s Performance Evaluation Guidelines.
- Organize briefing sessions for interpreters assigned to highly technical meetings as well as all those on emerging issues.
- Plan, organize and supervise accreditation tests for new freelance interpreters.
- Oversee the implementation of the Framework Agreement signed with freelance interpreters.
- Ensure that both staff and freelance interpreters receive the relevant background documents well in advance of meetings to ensure familiarity with the subject matters.
- Advise Senior Management of the budgetary and financial impacts of the Division’s operations.
- Oversee the mentoring of interns.
- Advise and sensitize Department Directors, Managers and all other clients on interpretation-related issues and policies.
- Organize and monitor staff exchange programmes with sister institutions.
- Promote benchmarking with sister institutions and sharing of best practices in the industry and, in this regard, represent the Bank at fora where such issues are discussed (HINTS, IAMLADP, etc.) Perform interpretation tasks when appropriate.
- Represent the Division as needed in Bank-wide working groups as well as preparatory meetings for High-Level Events.
- Lead and supervise the team of interpreters at major events the Bank may have in and outside the Bank’s headquarters such as the Annual Meetings, ADF Meetings, GCI meetings as well as other High-Level Events.
- Design technical tests for candidates who have been shortlisted for Chief and Principal Interpreter positions, and sit on interview panels for the said positions.
- Act for the Director and carry out other assignments as entrusted by the Director.
- Hold at least a Master’s degree or its equivalent in Interpretation.
- Have a minimum of eight (08) years of relevant working experience in a similar organization of which three (3) minimum in a supervisory position.
- Ability to work under pressure, keep calm and composure, prioritize work program, and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to analyze requests and complex interpretation scenarios and working out appropriate solutions.
- Ability to dialogue with and sensitize clients on interpretation related issues.
- Ability to formulate and defend budget proposals vis-à-vis the hierarchy of the Complex, draft reports, policies and guidelines.
- Competency to lead, supervise and motivate the teams, and to delegate work and responsibilities appropriately.
- Ability to take responsibility for the financial and staffing aspects of operational management and service delivery.
- Having private sector experience will be an added advantage.
- Ability to communicate efficiently (written and oral) in English or French.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications and demonstrate knowledge of other software packages applicable to translation and interpretation (workflow, scheduling, translation memory, etc.).
Application Closing Date
3rd December, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- This position is classified as international recruitment and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.
- Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and / or a screenshot showing the problem to HR Direct via: HRDirect@AFDB.ORG
- To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
- Applicants who fully meet the Bank’s requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.