Mastercard – We are the global technology company behind the world’s fastest payments processing network. We are a vehicle for commerce, a connection to financial systems for the previously excluded, a technology innovation lab, and the home of Priceless®. We ensure every employee has the opportunity to be a part of something bigger and to change lives. We believe as our company grows, so should you. We believe in connecting everyone to endless, priceless possibilities.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Director, Business Development, Fintech & Enablers SSA
Job Requisition ID: R-184534
Employment Type: Full Time
- The Digital Partnerships team in the Eastern Europe Middle East and Africa region (EEMEA) is looking for a Director, Business Development, Fintech & Enabler Segment to build, develop and manage the Fintech segment across the Africa region.
- The primary objective of the role is developing the strategy and growing revenue in the segment across the region by identifying and pursuing opportunities with new or existing customers/markets, growing market share and deepening Mastercard’s regional footprint; embedding multiple products, platforms, and capability bundles that drive innovation and stickiness.
- Developing and setting sales & commercial strategies aligned with geographies sand segments including pipeline management and go to market at the segment level.
- The ideal candidate is passionate about leveraging payments technology to digitally transform new and emerging sectors, digital innovation, highly motivated, intellectually curious, analytical, and possesses an entrepreneurial and commercially astute mindset.
- This role will be based in Lagos, Nigeria
Purpose of the Digital Partnerships Team:
- The Digital Partnerships team in EEMEA leads Mastercard’s engagement with major actors in digital commerce. We work with the biggest names in tech, ecommerce, and financial services to leverage Mastercard’s technological capabilities to solve partner business problems, create new propositions, and ensure seamless, secure, and inclusive payments.
- Our Digital Partners include Fintech’s, Telco’s (Mobile Network Operators), Digital Merchants (including but not limited to Online Market Places and On Demand Services) including Large Digital Giants and Key Digital Activity Players in new and emerging sectors such as Microlending and Online Travel.
- In this high-profile, customer facing position, you will partner with the Fintech’s across Africa deepening our relationship with them across all the Fintech Sub-Segments including but not limited to the eWallets, Fintech Enablers, Payment Facilitators & Scaling Paytech segments. Your focus will be on deal commercializing, portfolio optimization including revenue diversification with a strong bottom line focus.
- You will be the global ‘owner’ of Mastercard’s relationship with your assigned accounts and accountable to build mutually aligned strategies and plans with your partners and execute on them by effectively leveraging the Mastercard organization
- You will be responsible for driving Mastercard revenue growth and be comfortable developing business cases including ROI analyses as well as leading responses to RFPs.
- You will dive into financial and payment related data to be grounded in facts to provide customer specific recommendations that drive value for partners and Mastercard.
- You will be the expert on your assigned partners and learn about Mastercard’s capabilities and be ready to provide insight into a Fintech’s business, thinking strategically and broadly.
- You will establish day to day and senior business relationships and work with partners to create roadmaps and through QBRs and daily interactions ensure alignment on strategy and execution on agreed projects.
- You will lead negotiations with partners and with internal stakeholders and develop terms sheets and contracts.
- You will be accountable for managing the Multi-Market Fintech partners across the Sub Saharan Africa region
- Build, in cooperation and input by the region, road map & pipeline for ecosystem to accelerate growth and commercialization
- Entrepreneurial approach; ability to quickly understand business requirements and to translate them into potential business development opportunities
- Interpersonal and negotiation skills – extensive experience in communicating in international environment at senior management level.
- Account management experience – ability to understand customer’s need marketplace dynamics, industry trends and the competitive landscape.
- Must be capable of operating with high levels of empowerment and accountability
- Requires to be able to operate at a strategic and operational level
- Strong relationship management and build effective partnership with the relevant business stack holders from banks, government, and third-party processors
- Negotiate, execute, and manage multiple multi-market & large Fintech customers
- Develop strategies, financial modeling and business cases for identified opportunities, as well as coordinate contract development
- Leadership of building strategy, solution design, obtain investment funds, sales planning, delivery, and ongoing management (customer delivery, business risk management, optimization)
- Represent MasterCard at strategic partnerships & government events.
All About You
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business or equivalent work experience
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. Expertise on deal commercialization and P & L management.
- Expert relevant work experience with a core knowledge of payments, data processing concepts and financial industry/banking operations practices
- Deep knowledge and understanding of payment solutions, with significant experience in sales and business development
- Thorough understanding of the Fintech Landscape across the region
- Action oriented and results driven and with a disciplined approach to deliver sales targets, financial analysis, and strategic development
- A passion and comfort in meeting new people and building & nurturing meaningful relationships at all levels including with senior-level and C-Suite executives.
- Strong Business Development & Relationship management expertise.
- Possess a blend of analytical capability, strategic thinking, and emotional intelligence and able to dive deep on all areas of the business to deliver creative solutions to unstructured problems.
- Comfortable aptitude for onboarding complex business and technical knowledge to a level sufficient to engage in meaningful partner discussions and identify and drive solutions.
- Enjoy collaborating with a team while working independently towards a goal.
- Strong relationship management skills – experience of managing multiple stakeholders in a multicultural environment. Strong negotiating and influencing skills, with the ability to execute through others who do not report directly to you.
- Committed to quality with a strong focus on customer needs
- A team player who easily builds relationships
- Strong people management and coaching skills
- Language: fluent, English.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online