The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Consultant / NFI Strategy & CBI Lessons Learned for NFI Technical Working Group of CCCM / SHELTER / NFI Sector
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
See latest Bank of Industry (BoI) Openings
The objective of this consultancy is to support the CCCM, Shelter & NFI Sector NFI Technical Working Group in developing a strategy for NFI interventions in NE Nigeria as well as to document lessons learned and best practices in Cash Based Interventions for provision of NFI assistance to IDPs in NE Nigeria.
- Under the overall supervision of the Head of Sub Office (Maiduguri), the direct supervision of the Programme Manager (Shelter & NFI), and in close coordination with the CCCM, Shelter & NFI Sector Coordinators, the successful candidate will be responsible for conducting consultations to develop and deliver two documents under the NFI Technical Working Group
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Conduct desk review of existing resources for NFI interventions in NE Nigeria related to both in-kind and cash assistance, post-distribution monitoring reports, etc.
- Conduct remote consultations with key partners including the CCCM, Shelter, NFI Sector Coordinators, IOM staff leading the NFI Technical Working Group, NFI partner agencies (including UN, INGO and local NGO agencies), Cash Working Group Coordinator, and government partners (including the National and State Emergency Management Agencies as well as others identified through partner consultations).
- Develop work plan for Maiduguri based component of the consultancy to include in person consultation schedule, workshop and NFI TWIG meeting
- Produce a final report documenting lessons learned and best practices related to provision of NFI assistance through cash-based approaches in NE Nigeria. The report should include introduction, methodology, identify challenges and bottlenecks with recommended solutions, document successes in cash-based assistance for NFI and provide recommendations on further development and broadening of cash-based approaches under the CCCM, Shelter & NFI Sector in coordination with the Cash Working Group.
- Produce an NFI Strategy for the CCCM, Shelter & NFI Sector reflecting both in-kind and cash based approaches and encompassing the varied contexts of humanitarian NFI response in NE Nigeria including camp and out of camp settings, assistance to newly displaced populations as well as replenishment of NFI materials over time and the nature of NFI response in the context of returning populations.
- Ensures that the Program Manager is informed of all issues, developments, and changes related to the process.
Measurable Output of the Work Assignment:
- Below is the suggested workplan for the assignment –
Timeframe / Deliverables:
- Desk study, remote consultation and preparatory planning for Maiduguri based component
- Work Plan for field component
- Workshop agenda
- Convene NFI partners for consultations and workshop in Maiduguri
- Workshop agenda and consultation schedule
- Meeting with NFI TWIG
- Final reports (2)
- Final report on cash based NFI assistance in NE Nigeria including executive summary, background, methodology, findings, conclusions, and recommendations.
- Final NFI Strategy document
- Summary presentation relevant IOM managers, CCCM, Shelter & NFI Sector Coordinators and Cash Working Group Coordinator.
- By end of first week: Field work plan and workshop agenda
- By end of assignment: Final reports (NFI Strategy and NFI CBI Lessons Learned and Best Practices) including findings and recommendations, summary presentation to IOM Nigeria’s relevant units and stakeholders
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Development or humanitarian related fields, or any other related technical fields from an accredited academic institution with minimum five years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in managing NFI programs in complex emergencies
- Experience in cluster/sector coordination related to the provision of NFI in emergency contexts
- Excellent analytical, research, writing and communication skills
- Expertise and experience in the humanitarian and sector
- Experience in monitoring, evaluation and reporting
- Knowledge of social and development issues as well as general displacement related issues.
- Knowledge of shelter and settlements programming is required.
- IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
- For this consultancy, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Arabic/ Pidgin / Hausa / Kanuri is an advantage.
- Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
- Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates the ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action-oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Application Closing Date
16th November, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV to: HRNIGERIA@iom.int using the “Job Title” as the subject of the email.
- Candidates are requested to share ONE sample report of similar evaluation conducted from previous consultancy projects or online links to show such works. All samples will be kept confidential.
- For the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM) and with a subject line CFCV2020/077 Consultant/ NFI Strategy & CBI Lessons Learned for NFI Technical Working Group of CCCM/SHELTER/NFI Sector
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers and detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV).