The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Consultant – Covid-19 Socio-Economic Effects in North-East Nigeria
Webcruiter ID: 4274352672
Employment Type: Other
Percentage of full-time: 100
Start date: 01/09/2020
End date: 31/10/2020
>> Click here for latest Jobs Recruitment at Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC)
- Consultancy on Rapid Study of COVID-19 direct and secondary effects on the socio-economics of rural and urban areas of Northeast of Nigeria (Borno and Adamawa States) whereas NRC is currently implementing the response in Livelihoods and Food Security, Camp Management, Education, ICLA, Wash and Shelter; mainstreaming protection, gender and advocacy.
- The socio-economic network of the population consists of the local markets, the main livelihoods, the economic security of households and the food security of families and individuals.
- The overall purpose of the rapid socio-economic effects’ assessment study is two-fold:
- Establish evidence base on the socio-economic effects of the COVID-19 crisis on vulnerable populations, their livelihoods and on the local markets.
- Generate a strategic framework based on the findings and recommendations with focus on addressing the socio-economic impact in order for NRC LFS team to take prompt and better actions to (i) safeguard livelihoods, (ii) improve access to livelihoods, (iii) protect food systems (production, supply) and (iv) mitigate/decrease food insecurity (availability, access, stability and utilization).
- The position entails a content analysis of secondary information provided by NRC LFS team related to COVID-19 studies or livelihood / markets / HH economic security evaluations (from NRC or other stakeholders’ reports).
- The consultant will work closely with the NRC LFS staff to execute the study and will be engaged to produce a user-friendly guidance note or creative output to summarize the findings (among other tasks described in Section 4.).
- The consultant should possess interdisciplinary knowledge of econometric or statistics), livelihoods and markets.
Objectives and Scope of the Consultancy
The scope of the consultant service covers the following tasks:
- Analyse, collect and describe the socio-economic information available in Borno and Adamawa States of Northeast Nigeria and the region, as well as existing strategies and response options (secondary data review)
- Carry out a direct and secondary effect’ assessment (primary data) by including interviews with key informants, meetings and focus group with affected populations, surveys and brainstorming and working days with the NRC staff / partner staff to better understand the changes provoked already by COVID-19
- Analyse NRC Nigeria’s capacities and ability to respond to the current and projected COVID-19 impact
- Provide recommendations on the response options for NRC.
Recommended Methodology and Tasks
Tasks to be developed by the consultant that the assessment process must include:
- Design of the methodology, preferably based on NRC recommendation as follows:
- Used the Theory of Change Logic Model during the whole assessment
- Methodology mixed (qualitative and quantitative methods)
- Based on evaluation questions (at least a total of 15 evaluations questions) related to each domain of Section 2 and on the coverage criteria
- Using triangulation as analyse method, and
- Representative sampling with its choice argumentation
- Secondary data review, gap analysis incl. overall COVID 19 effects (direct and secondary) on the region and Nigeria, and NRC Nigeria specific capacities and current strategies
- Design of appropriate data collection tools, including a) Key Informant Interviews and b) household interviews or focus group discussion and c) survey/ies
- Design of electronic data collection tools (Kobo)
- Identification of enumerators and training for data collection
- Preparation of the field work, work plan and data collection in close coordination with NRC LFS team
- Supervision of the data collection phase including a systematic debriefing of enumerators and the cleaning of data
- Analysis based on triangulation
- Presentation of findings with data visualisation (charts, maps, infographics)
- Report writing (incl. 1 draft report and 1 final report after client feedback)
- Facilitate an NRC workshop where the findings will be presented and response options will be discussed
- Workshop minutes and recommendations
- Document Review, Methodology and training about data collection – 2 weeks
- Data Collection – 4 weeks
- Analysis and Inception report – 2 weeks
- Final report – 2 weeks
- Dissemination phase – 4
Consultancy team composition:
- At least 15 years’ experience in development operations and key transition phases
- Formal education in Economy or Statistics, experience in evaluation
- Demonstrated experience in conducting similar research and design activities in socio-economic research or evaluation of programs and politics domains
- Experience in developing innovative humanitarian strategies and economic analyse.
- Experience and knowledge of markets assessment, value chain analyse and food systems
Applicants will be evaluated against the following criteria:
- Professional competencies, expertise and qualification for the tasks described above (50%),
- Previous experience (30%),
- Technical quality of submitted work samples (10%),
- Financial offer (10%).
Application Closing Date
25th August, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Application including the technical and financial Offer, the CV and a portfolio with at least one similar assessment performed (with a reference) by email to: email@example.com
Additional Requirements for Application
- CV and motivational letter
- Financial offer (bid) detailing the budget (in USD)
- One sample of similar assessment performed
- Recommendation letters previous organizations served OR 2 references of organizations who can verify the quality of the consultant’s work and/or publicly available works or studies commissioned earlier
- Certificate of Registration / Incorporation (if available)
- Tax Registration Certificate (if available)
Further questions regarding the assignment kindly address to: Jennifer.firstname.lastname@example.org