The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is Germany’s leading provider of international cooperation services. As a federal enterprise, we support the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development. We are also engaged in international education work around the globe.
In addition to our bilateral cooperation with Nigeria, we also support the ECOWAS Commission towards the improved management, implementation and monitoring of ECOWAS policy decisions in the areas of economics, trade, and peace & security. A distinctive feature of GIZ’s activities in Nigeria is the high level of financial contributions obtained from other sources – primarily the European Union (EU) and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. This has made it possible to broaden the scope and intensity of the GIZ Nigeria & ECOWAS portfolio, thereby boosting the effectiveness of German Development Cooperation.
We invite Expressions of Interest (EOI) from suitable candidates to fill the position below:
Job Title: Conflict Prevention and Resolution Expert
The 2023 General Elections In Nigeria
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Nigeria, has scheduled the Presidential and National Assembly Elections, and the Governorship and the State Assembly Elections to hold on 25 February and 2 March 2023, respectively.
Since 2018, ECOWAS has deployed core team experts to provide leadership as well as direction to its Long-Term Election Observation Missions (LTEOMs) and to enable ECOWAS to undertake comprehensive analytical assessment of the three phases (pre-election, election day, and post-election) of electoral cycle in member States. This is in conformity with continental and internationally agreed electoral standards. To date, core team experts have been deployed to assess the integrity and credibility of electoral outcomes in at least nine regional elections.
Ahead of the Nigeria 2023 general election, the ECOWAS Commission is looking to deploy core team experts in the six geo-political zones (South-West, South-East, South-South, North-Central, North-West, and North-East). The experts will be deployed in support of a wider ECOWAS Election Observation Mission comprising both short and long-term observers. In the deployment of the Core Team of experts, the ECOWAS Commission will receive technical and financial support from the GIZ ECOWAS Peace and Security Architecture and Operations (EPSAO) Project, co-financed by the European Union (EU) and the German Federal Ministry of Economic Development and Cooperation (BMZ).
- Do you want to participate in the upcoming Nigerian elections as part of an Election Observation Mission?
- With the upcoming presidential and national Assembly elections in Nigeria next year, the ECOWAS Commission will be deploying a core team of experts as part of its Election Observation Mission. This core team will also be supporting the Governorship and State Assembly Elections planed to take place in February and March 2023.
- To be part of this core team, interested individuals can apply following the instructions below.
- The ECOWAS Peace and Security Architecture and Operations (#EPSAO) Project will provide technical and financial support for this deployment. The EPSAO Project is co-financed by the European Commission and the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
- The Mission will be deployed for 45 days from 25th January – 10th March 2023.
- Post-graduate University Degree in Social Sciences, Law, International Relations, Gender Studies, Conflict Studies, Mass Communication, Sociology, International Human Rights, International Development, or related fields of study, as may be relevant for the position.
- Participation in at least two Long-Term Election Observation Missions (LTEOMs) or one Election Observation Mission as a Core Team expert in any of the af orementioned fields.
- 5-10 years’ experience in electoral assistance, democratic governance, peacebuilding, peace and security, or governance sectors within the African region.
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of the ECOWAS governance and electoral normative frameworks.
Application Closing Date
18th October, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit a Cover Letter (maximum one page) and a Curriculum Vitae (maximum 3 pages) to: 2023NigeriaElections@giz.de using the Job Title as the subject of the email.
Note: Your cover letter must address the question “Why is it important to observe the Nigeria 2023 general elections through the lens of your area of expertise”. You may not apply for more than one position.
- Personal data obtained during this process will be strictly processed for shortlisting qualified experts who will participate in the competitive bidding process for selecting a Core Team for the 2023 general elections in Nigeria. Name, contact details, information relating to qualifications / professional experience of experts will be stored by the GIZ for a limited period, until July 2023, and shall be accessed only by a limited number of GIZ employees and a consultant hired within the scope of this project.
- It is worth noting that the GIZ processes personal data in accordance with the highest applicable regulations, including the EU GDPR, the German Federal Data Protection Act (BDSG) and the local laws of the respective partner countries. The legal basis for processing your personal data is the performance of a task carried out in the public interest.
- As data subjects, you have the right to access, rectify (correct), object to the processing or request deletion of your personal data at anytime. It is equally your right to complain with a competent supervisory authority. You may exercise these rights by sending a simple email to: 2023NigeriaElections@giz.de
- Further information on how the GIZ processes personal data is available at www.giz.de/en/html/data_protection.html