The Management Sciences for Health (MSH), a global health nonprofit organization, uses proven approaches developed over 40 years to help leaders, health managers, and communities in developing nations build stronger health systems for greater health impact. We work to save lives by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Compliance Officer
Job ID: R1714
Location: Cross River
Employment Type: Full – Time
Reports To: Director, Internal Audit / Project Director
- The Compliance Officer works in partnership, collaboration, and support with the Director of Finance & Operations and the project senior management team in conducting risk assessments, prioritization, and compliance verification activities work planning.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and verbal and written communication, proactive problem solving, fostering of teamwork, and professional discipline are required for successful delivery of internal controls and compliance verification and assurance that project activities are achieved, and MSH assets and reputation are safeguarded.
- In coordination with the Director of Internal Audit, s/he will develop a plan and evaluation tools, and then carry out independent appraisals and verifications of the effectiveness of MSH and donor policies, procedures and standards, and applicable Nigeria law, which MSH Nigeria manages financial resources.
- S/he will review and evaluate the effectiveness and efficiency of operations, reliability of financial reporting, compliance with applicable laws and the safeguarding of assets. S/he will plan, perform and report on internal assessments to ensure that financial control, financial guidelines of donor organization and other control procedures are in place and are being properly implemented and managed on the PMI-S Malaria project.
- S/he will also be responsible for advising and monitoring quality standards of operations and value for money.
- S/he will monitor and following-up on recommendations from the internal and external auditors to ensure the recommendations have been implemented and adhered to.
- Under the direction of the Director of Internal Audit (and MSH General Counsel where necessary), s/he will conduct thoroughly documented investigations of whistleblower cases, and suspected fraud and will directly interface with the Director of Internal Audit on these or other specific cases.
Compliance / Internal Audit:
- Ensure that all MSH Nigeria and PMI-S Malaria project financial and operational activities are in compliance with Nigeria law (tax laws, CSA laws and government pension agency laws), donor rules and regulations, and MSH policies and standards.
- Develops an annual customized compliance-monitoring plan, including evaluation tools, standards, ethical considerations, and schedule to evaluate all PMI-S Malaria project or remote staff/office locations, and to revisit sites needing extra attention.
- Develops compliance framework for the PMI-S Malaria project; including compliance checklists for the various business processes, transaction classes, country laws governing NGO operations, and specific donor requirements.
- Periodically reviews and updates the compliance-monitoring checklist and other tools to stay current with MSH procedures and policies.
- Examines the effectiveness of internal controls and compliance within MSH Nigeria policy framework, identifies gaps in procedures and controls systems, and provides recommendations to the Country Leadership Team for strengthening them.
- Follows-up on recommendations to ensure they have been implemented and adhered to.
- Tests internal controls, targeting high-risk areas, including workshops, vehicle usage, inventory control and cash advance management, payroll and Fleet Management.
- Documents internal control weaknesses, compliance deviations, and their impact, and makes recommendations to address these weaknesses.
- Identifies gaps in knowledge and skills and provides recommendations for training.
- May be requested to provide training directly to staff.
- Prepares detailed reports of each compliance review and other task assignments, with prioritized findings and recommendations.
- Presents final reports to the MSH Nigeria/PMI-S Country Leadership Team after review and approval from Supervisor.
- When necessary, collaborates with internal and external audit on investigations of whistleblower cases, suspected fraud, mismanagement, loss of assets, etc.
- Follows-up on recommendations from the internal and external auditors to ensure the recommendations have been implemented and adhered to.
- Stays abreast of laws, directives, and current trends in the local legal and NGO environment.
- Provides risk assessment for financial and operational landscape. Identify high risk, high probability events, and provide recommended mitigation plan. Provide ad hoc risk assessments for specific scenarios by request.
- Provide ad-hoc advice, helping staff to achieve the goal of establishing sound risk management and internal control systems; offer practical advice on how best to comply with financial policy and donor guidelines.
- Prepares quarterly audit, investigations, and status of audit recommendations reports for submission to Director Internal Audit and Nigeria Country Representative, if applicable.
- Meets with Project Directors on a regular basis, or as requested by the CR.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of Internal Audit.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Business Management or related area. MSC in related field will be an added advantage.
- Advanced Degree preferred
- Professional Certification in Accounting, Internal Audit, and Fraud Examination
- Six plus years of experience in compliance, risk management or audit required.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Extensive familiarity of U.S Government grant/contracts rules and regulations (USAID, CDC,) or other donor rules and regulations (E.U) required.
- Experience in international development programs preferred.
- Excellent planning, management, and organizational skills.
- Proven leadership and interpersonal skill.
- Professional proficiency in English required
Core Job Competencies
Navigating the Environment:
- Perspective, Dealing with ambiguity, Organizational Agility, Political Savvy and Strategic Agility
Ensuring Delivery of Results:
- Functional / Technical skills, Client Focus, Managing through systems, Managing and Measuring work, Negotiating, Information Sharing, Process Management, Priority Setting, Problem Solving and Timely Decision Making
Core Personal Competencies:
- Ethics and Values, Integrity and Trust, Listening, Written Communication
Core MSH competencies:
- Adaptability, Communication, Problem Solving, Creativity and Innovation, Quality, Quality and Timeliness of Work, Quality of work and Team Relationships, Resource Utilization
- Travel requirements: Availability to travel domestically and internationally as needed. Up to 50% domestic travel.
We offer competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits package.
Application Closing Date
25th March, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online