The United Nations Volunteers (UNV) programme contributes to peace and development through volunteerism worldwide. We work with partners to integrate qualified, highly motivated and well supported UN Volunteers into development programming and promote the value and global recognition of volunteerism. UNV is administered by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and reports to the UNDP/UNFPA/UNOPS Executive Board.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Communications Specialist
Location: Abuja (NGA)
Host entity: UNWomen
Start date: Immediate
Duration: 6 months
Description of Task
Lead the development and implementation of communication and outreach / advocacy strategies and plans, with a specific focus on media:
- Conduct communication needs assessments for the CO, including projects, programmes and corporate change initiatives;
- Design, develop, and implement gender-responsive communication and outreach / advocacy strategies, including media strategies;
- Integrate communication, advocacy and outreach strategies into proposals for project/programmes and other initiatives;
- Monitor and analyze print and social media on an ongoing basis and prepare reports;
- Launch in-country UN Women / UN system corporate and local / regional campaigns and special events.
Lead the development and dissemination of advocacy materials for Nigeria CO:
- Develop and oversee the procurement and production of communication and advocacy instruments and materials, including briefing materials, press releases, and articles and coordinate its dissemination through effective channels;
- Provide advice on advocacy materials and coordinate the launching of flagship initiatives and publications in Nigeria;
- Lead the engagement and supervision of video producers and other communication specialists to produce audio / visual materials on UN Women’s work;
- Develop brochures, factsheets, stories from the field to inform media and general public at the regional level;
- Follow guidelines from and report to HQ.
Manage media relations for the CO:
- Manage and promote presence and image of UN Women and its leadership in the country
- Lead relationship building with the press in country and maintain and update a database of press contacts;
- Provide timely and clear responses to media inquiries and to a variety of inquiries and information requests; prepare related correspondence; identify topics, background information, news-related developments and coverage of interest;
- Organize roundtable discussions, press conferences, and briefing sessions with the press and other media groups;
- Facilitate interviews with senior managers; connect media with UN Women subject experts;
- Finalize talking points to guide media engagements by the Country Representative
Build and maintain partnerships and maintain relations with donors:
- Identify and develop new communication partnerships and alliances to enhance visibility; manage and nurture existing partnerships;
- Liaise with advocacy partners and undertake outreach to civil society organizations, governments, and other groups to ensure that newsworthy information reaches the public and donors;
- Guide and collaborate closely with communication colleagues in other offices to ensure consistency with corporate policies, messaging and initiatives
Oversee the CO web / online presence:
- Oversee and maintain CO webpage / website, including developing design and content;
- Coordinate COs’ web-presence in the line with corporate web policy;
- Oversee and manage social media accounts in line with corporate social media policy.
Facilitate knowledge building and sharing:
- Identify and synthesize best practices and lessons learned from CO directly linked to programme country goals and activities and ensure exchange of information;
- Provide training and workshops on communication and advocacy as appropriate
Qualifications / Requirements
- Required degree level: Master degree or equivalent
Education – Additional Comments:
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism or relevant field is required;
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- 60 Months
- At least 5 years of professional work experience at national or international level in public relations, communications or advocacy, including in media relations;
- Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.
- English (Mandatory), Level – Fluent
Area of expertise:
- Public information and reporting, Journalism, mass media and broadcasting
Area of expertise details:
- Extensive experience in the use of social media;
- Experience in media relations is an asset.
- Accountability, Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment and Motivation, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Ethics and Values, Integrity, Knowledge Sharing, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity, Working in Teams
Application Closing Date
20th December, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
- First register your profile at: https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup
- Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at: https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?