Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Communications and Learning Assistant
Requisition Number: LEARN002826
Location: Abuja (FCT)
Position Status: Full-time, Regular
Job Category: Media & Communications
Program / Department Summary
- In 2019, Mercy Corps was awarded a five-year, $30 million USAID-funded Feed the Future Nigeria Rural Resilience Activity to facilitate economic recovery and growth in vulnerable, conflict-affected areas by promoting systemic change in market systems
- The Rural Resilience Activity will enable individuals and communities to engage in strong and sustainable market systems rather than continuing to rely on humanitarian assistance and faltering with each new shock.
- The Activity is part of the U.S. Government’s global hunger and food security initiative aimed at giving families and communities in some of the world’s poorest countries the freedom and opportunity to lift themselves out of food insecurity and malnutrition.
- The Activity also empowers vulnerable households, communities and systems to cope with current shocks and stresses and to be prepared to withstand future ones.
- The Activity is implemented by Mercy Corps, with support from the International Fertilizer Development Center (IFDC) and Save the Children (SCI), primarily in the Northeast states of Adamawa, Borno, Gombe, and Yobe.
- To achieve this purpose, the Activity implements interventions around the five components below:
- Component 1: Provide up-to-date evidence for selection of market systems, livelihoods and employment opportunities that contribute to inclusive and resilient growth and improved nutrition.
- Component 2: Stimulate market systems growth and diverse economic opportunities (Pull activities).
- Component 3: Build capacity to take advantage of market systems opportunities (Push activities).
- Component 4: Sequencing, layering, integrating (SLI), and collaborative learning to improve activity effectiveness, sustainability, and scale.
- Component 5: Supporting Market Resilience to COVID-19 Shocks.
General Position Summary
- The Communications & Learning Assistant will be responsible for supporting the program team in the Rural Resilience Activity. She/he will report to the Communications Manager to ensure timely and accurate dissemination of impacts, lessons learned and interventions of the Activity across the implementation states of Borno, Yobe, Adamawa and Gombe.
- The Communication & Learning Assistant will work closely with the Chief of Party and the Learning & Communications team, and with the monitoring and results measurement (MRM) team, intervention managers and advisors to ensure efficient reporting and documentation of program activities.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Communication and Capacity Building:
- Actively participate in meetings and processes to promote effective program management.
- Communicate effectively to ensure overall project targets and donor obligations are met.
- Work with others in brainstorming and problem-solving sessions to address shortfalls in monitoring, evaluation and information management that affect program implementation.
- Utilize support from the Mercy Corps Nigeria Monitoring Evaluation and Learning team and program resources to enhance organizational learning.
- Support the development of success stories, newsletters, website and social media content, event calendars, factsheets and IEC materials through follow-up with team members and other innovative approaches.
Finance and Compliance Management:
- Ensure compliance with donor and Mercy Corps regulations related to emergency programming.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- Work closely with Mercy Corps Nigeria country team’s security focal point to develop and maintain systems that ensure the safety and security of the team in all aspects of its implementation process.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient, and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability To Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Reports Directly To:Communications Manager – RRA
- Works Directly With:Chief of Party, Senior CLA Advisor, RRA intervention managers, MRM team, finance and compliance department and other relevant MC staff.
Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree with experience in knowledge management or communication in an international development organization.
- Knowledge of reporting on program implementation with relevant field experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent computer skills, including experience with Excel, PowerPoint, and at least one statistical data analysis software.
- Experience working in Northern Nigeria and the FCT (as the position may require frequent travel to these locations).
- Fluency in written and verbal English is required with knowledge of an additional local language.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English required, including report development, writing, and editing.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members.
- The successful candidate will have the ability to multi-task, set priorities, and work under tight deadlines within a complex team. S/he will demonstrate strong interpersonal and cross-cultural communication skills and be committed to the values and mission of the Rural Resilience Activity team.
- S/he will take initiative and contribute to team efforts, as well as demonstrate the ability to communicate. Multi-tasking, prioritizing, problem-solving and simultaneous attention to detail and working in a team to achieve a strategic vision are essential.
- The most successful Mercy Corps staff members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and changing environments and make effective written and verbal communication a priority in all situations. Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Application Closing Date
30th September, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: Female candidates who are qualified are strongly encouraged to apply.