The African Trade Insurance Agency (ATI) is a pan-African multilateral financial institution established in 2001 by African States. ATI was originally launched with the technical and financial support from the World Bank Group and has had more recent support from the African Development Bank. ATI has grown into a market leader for risk mitigation in Africa, establishing itself as Africa’s primary trade and investment insurer and one of Africa’s largest Development Finance Institutions with an outstanding portfolio exceeding US$6bn at year end 2019.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Claims Officer
Reporting to the Senior Claims & Recoveries Officer, the Claims Officer is responsible for the following:
- Provide analytical and technical support in claims management;
- Implement policies and procedures for investigating, evaluating and managing risks and settlement of claims;
- Propose improvements in the underwriting guidelines based on claims and other experiences;
- Assess all information and documents submitted in support of claims to determine their accuracy and compliance with insurance policies issued;
- Provide technical support to the underwriting and accounts departments in all phases of claims handling;
- Maintain a system for monitoring and managing individual and portfolio exposures;
- Measure financial impact of claims and recommend appropriate actions to avoid, retain or transfer the risk;
- Periodic assessment of underwritten risks;
- Forecasting of prepayments, delinquencies, and defaults;
- Project and calculate expected losses for setting loss reserves;
- Maintain records and provide file and data management of losses reported and claims paid;
- Undertaking baseline analysis of risk exposures and insurance coverage;
- Design and maintain loss reports and monitor claim trends;
- Communicate with clients, obligors, stakeholders and all other interested parties in claim processing;
- Review and negotiate changes in policy wording based on claims experiences.
Qualifications & Skills
- University Degree in Commerce, Statistics, Law, Economics or any other relevant field;
- Master’s Degree or Professional Qualification in a relevant field is an added advantage;
- Competence in English both orally and written is a prerequisite. Knowledge of French is added advantage;
- Extensive experience working with legal documents used in the insurance and banking industries;
- Extensive experience in analysis of financial documents and data analysis;
- Experience with claims management, management of bad debts and recoveries in a commercial/ development financial institution;
- Ability to anticipate and manage a claim/default prior its occurrence;
- Good communication and negotiation skills;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Over 5 years’ experience working in a similar role;
- Outstanding analytical skills;
- Ability to provide financial and insurance accounting support;
- Willingness to travel.
- The roles requires excellent communications skills in written and spoken English.
- Knowledge of French and an ability to work in a multi-cultural environment, will be an added advantage.
- ATI offers a competitive salary and benefits package and a collegial working environment commensurate with other multilaterals.
Application Closing Date
Tuesday, 20th April, 2021 at Midnight East African Time.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Applications, which should include an electronic copy of the following below, to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the Job Title as the subject of the email.
- Application Letter
- CV, plus details of your current remuneration package along with details of three referees
- Personal History Form
- The successful candidates must have suitable qualifications, experience and attributes as indicated under the job description.
- ATI reserves the right to not make an appointment to the above vacancies, or to make an appointment at a slightly higher or lower grade, or to make an appointment with a modified job description.
- ATI will only contact those applicants who are being actively considered for an interview.