Apply for Christian Aid Recruitment 2020 / 2021 as Advertisement Jobs Portal Opens for Graduates Positions | website: https://www.christianaid.org.uk/ This Christian Aid Jobs Recruitment 2020 / 2021 are Available via Christian Aid Career Vacancy Portal. Christian Aid has a vision: a world free from poverty. To do that we are committed to exposing the scandal of poverty, and to challenging and changing the systems that favour the rich and powerful over the poor and marginalised. As an international development NGO, Christian Aid has been actively campaigning internationally, regionally and nationally on the root causes of global poverty, including key issues of our time such as climate change and economic justice.
Christian Aid Recruitment 2020 / 2021 Vacant Position:
Job Title: Africa Advocacy Advisor – Country Support
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Type of contract: Fixed Term
Contracted hours: 35
Contract length: 3 years
About the role
- As part of the Global Advocacy and Policy team in the Policy,Public Affairs and Campaigns (PPC) Department, the post-holder will support the development and implementation of national advocacy strategies across Christian Aid’s country offices in Africa.
- This role will support African country staff and partners to raise capacity and delivery of national advocacy in relation to our priority campaigns; as well as collaborating with them to deliver impactful global and multi-country advocacy strategies.
- This is a key role to strengthen the linkage between programmes and advocacy. Supporting the Senior Pan-Africa Advocacy Advisor and the Global Advocacy Lead, the post holder will help to integrate this work into our national programmes and where relevant participate in regional and international advocacy initiatives.
- S/he will also support the work between Christian Aid, and external partners and allies, as we collaborate with them to deliver impactful global and multi-country advocacy strategies and campaigns.
- Christian Aid country staff and partners in African country offices are supported in delivering strategic and effective advocacy, in line with our priority campaigns, as part of a whole of programme approach.
- Restricted funding for national level policy, advocacy and campaigns is secured, as part of the pipeline for country offices in the region
- Country offices are confident about how to navigate national advocacy spaces, with partners and as Christian Aid, and to manage risk effectively and influence successfully
- Partners and alliances are supported to mobilise and to campaign locally according to the context and needs. Capacity-building tools are identified or developed as appropriate.
- The creation and delivery of discrete advocacy initiatives linked to international and regional processes that are relevant to international campaign projects.
- Effective advocacy strategies at the national level connect to, and are supported by, the work Christian Aid does at the pan-African level, and globally.
- Christian Aid in Africa collaborates well with strategic partners, coalitions and alliances to maximise progress on key corporate priorities and objectives and to be a catalyst for the building of global movements for justice Christian Aid is effectively represented in key inter-agency networks and working groups, both in Africa and internationally.
- Expected national travel: Occasional travel: On call/unsocial hours No per annum
- Expected international: Up to 30 days travel per annum
- Surge capacity for emergency responses: No
- In order to respond to ever changing demands within the environment, Christian Aid operates within an agile framework (both in workforce and operational) that requires from all employees, a high level of responsiveness and adaptiveness to processes and structures making flexibility and a project based working approach the norm.
- To sustain this system, managers may/will agree further details of specific tasks and duties as part of the performance agreement. Any reasonable duty may be assigned that is consistent with the nature of the job and its level of responsibility, and employees may be required to change the focus of their role from time to time.
- This role will play a key part in ensuring that we have a whole of programme approach at the national level in Africa, that encompasses policy, advocacy and campaigns, and in linking our global, regional and national level influencing.
- The post holder will need to demonstrate excellent communication and networking skills, and manage competing demands from different country offices, finding ways to connect their contextually specific work to globally coherent campaigns on climate justice and economic justice.
- They will have a strong understanding of the external advocacy environment in countries in Africa where we operate, and an ability to help country offices to maximise the opportunities in settings where there are political and operational risks, and resources are limited.
Applied skills/knowledge and expertise:
- Degree or equivalent. Graduate qualification in relevant social science or development studies, or commensurate experience.
- Strong understanding of how change happens and of effective advocacy and campaigning strategies
- Proven experience of building constructive working relationships with diverse stakeholders, and of working in networks or coalitions
- Good understanding of the African contexts in which we work, and the ways in which our global campaigns and other priority issues apply to these contexts, including at the regional level
- Experience of working with African civil society, on advocacy, campaigning or communications
- Experience in representing corporate policy positions to diverse audiences
- Ability to communicate complex issues simply, both verbally and in writing.
- Proven ability to work to tight deadlines and prioritise work effectively.
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Commitment to Christian Aid‘s mission, vision and values
- Ability to work in French
- NGO programme experience
- Experience of online and social media campaigning
- Experience of working with church based organisations or faith groups
- We are looking for a strategic thinker, with a track record of implementing successful campaign strategies that brought about policy changes.
- You will need to be a great team player with proven experience of building constructive working relationships with a diverse range of stakeholders, and of working in networks or coalitions.
- Experience in working with ecumenical and faith-based organisations is an advantage.
- The successful candidate will have a good understanding of the African contexts in which we work, and the ways in which our global campaigns and other priority issues apply to these contexts, including at the regional level.
- We are looking for a good influencer with strong understanding of how change happens on effective advocacy and campaigning strategies, as well as with experience of working with African civil society, on advocacy, campaigning or communications.
- Good knowledge in online social media campaigning, NGO programme experience, as well as ability to speak French is also desired.
- External National civil society partners, including churches and other faith-based organisations; regional partners and members of the ACT alliance; some engagement in networks and coalitions.
- Internal Under guidance of the Pan-Africa Advocacy Lead Advisor, work very closely with our Africa country offices and regional team; the PPC department – and especially other advocacy colleagues working on country support, and thematic advisors, Programme Funding staff
- Budgetary/savings responsibility: Accountable to cross organisational project groups in key areas, Christian Aid’s networks, country programmes for efficient use of resources.
- Responsible for using initiative to identify and develop key contacts and relationships essential to deliver agreed strategic objectives; decides on the most effective means of influencing on agreed outcomes.
- Ability to analyse complex situations and look beyond the surface to underlying causes.
- Ability to analyse and synthesise information to understand issues, identify options and support sound decision making.
- Ability to plan well and communicate plans to others
Developing self and others:
- Number of Direct reports 0
- Overall people management responsibility 0
- The postholder will be working with colleagues under country manager reporting lines, and with country managers and regional advocacy staff, and will have an advisory role that requires the confidence and trust of programme staff, agility, and a high level of understanding of different national contexts
Role related checks:
- DBS clearance Not required Counter terrorism screening Not required
Application Closing Date
5th August, 2020.
How to Apply Christian Aid Recruitment 2020 / 2021
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Band Emid Salary 2020 (Xlsx)
- Application is by submission of a CV with supporting statement. Please ensure you address the competency requirements in your supporting statement. These can be found in the role profile and in the global competency model attached. To apply please follow the link assigned to the advert.
- This role can be based in any Christian Aid office in Africa, but it requires applicants to have the right to work in the country where this position is based.
- We value diversity and aspire to reflect this in its workforce. We welcome applications from people from all sections of the community, irrespective of race, colour, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, religion or belief.
- You can expect a wide range of rewards and benefits, including a generous holiday allowance, and flexibility that will ensure you enjoy a good work/life balance.