The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Chief Nurse (Migration Health)
Requisition: VN 2023 100
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P2
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Organizational Unit: COMITAS
Term of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
- Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) and the direct supervision of the Chief Migration Health Officer (CMHO) and the Regional Nurse Coordinator, the Chief Nurse (Migration Health) will be responsible for carrying out the following duties and responsibilities in relation to the Migration Health Assessment Centre (MHAC) in Abuja, Nigeria.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Establish and maintain an optimal workflow in all the migration health assessment nursing and clerical activities in Nigeria to fulfil the technical requirements of the resettlement countries in the areas of:
- Medical examinations;
- Laboratory testing;
- TB management;
- Treatment and referrals;
- Pre-departure procedures and medical movements;
- Documentation, certification and information transmission; and,
- Other technical areas as may be required.
- Support and monitor resource management in HAPs in the following areas:
- In coordination with MHO recommend optimal staffing levels and organization of nursing and
- support staff;
- Participate in the selection process of and provide training, guidance and supervision to nursing and other staff;
- Monitor inventory of medical supplies and verify that all Migration Health Assessment Clinics have clear SOP’s regarding medical supply procurement; Roll out Pharmacy Inventory
- Management System (PIMS) related to medical equipment and supplies in the mission;
- Assist CHMO and MHO Lagos in budget reviews towards the adequacy of human and material resources for programme implementation;
- Maintain an optimal staff flow, including the allocation to routine duties, staff leave planning and work handover; and,
- Ensure implementation of fraud-prevention measures, including testing performed outside of the MHAC.
- Monitor clinical practice across HAP operations using standardized auditing tools and provide feedback on clinical and workflow performance. Disseminate and promote the implementation of best practice standards and compliance with resettlement countries technical Instructions as they relate to nursing activities within HAP operations.
- Supervise management of Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs) and directly observed treatment/therapy short course (DOTS).
- Support the implementation of Infection Prevention and Control standards in IOM Lagos medical facility.
- Implement sound monitoring system of medical document flow and data entry; perform routine spot checks and apply quality assessment/quality control mechanisms to ensure errors are minimal in the relevant databases as well as organize in-house training and keep track of nurses’ engagement in continuous medical education.
- Draft and finalize medical and administrative reports and program updates as necessary; report any inconsistencies or issues to the Chief Migration Health Officer (CMHO).
- Coordinate, and perform if needed, the medical escort duties when required to ensure migrants receive continued care throughout all phases of migration (before departure, during the journey and at the final destination).
- Prepare and finalize statistical information and share with the CMHO as per pre-set and agreed-upon format.
- Maintain collaborative relationships with various partners to facilitate the follow up and relevant information sharing. Partners include internal IOM departments, other health providers, panel physicians, Embassies other UN agencies or NGO’s and others as applicable.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Nursing, Community or Public Health, Infectious Diseases, Tropical Medicine or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- University Degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Training or working experience in the areas of Tuberculosis management, mass immunizations, communicable diseases, laboratory testing, epidemiology, programme management or public health is an advantage;
- Understanding of evidence-based clinical skills and demonstrated experience promoting nursing best practice, nurse educator etc.;
- Familiarity with IOM’s administrative, financial, and business rules and practices; and,
- Experience working on migration health and/or public health topics of international concern.
- Good knowledge of nursing principles, techniques and procedures: knowledge of public health as well as general migration-related issues;
- Demonstrated ability to maintain detail, accuracy and confidentiality at all levels of the health assessment process;
- Knowledge of specialized medical software is required. Knowledge of eMedical and Mimosa
- Web is an advantage;
- Good level of computer literacy;
- Excellent proven written and oral communication skills; ability to clearly communicate health-related topics to non-health audiences; and,
- Ability to work in close coordination with a broad range of different units, divisions and colleagues on various topics/initiatives to achieve a common objective.
- IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
- External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, or Spanish).
- For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French is an advantage.
- Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
- Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these five values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences. Encourages diversity and inclusion.
- Integrity and transparency: Maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Courage: Demonstrates willingness to take a stand on issues of importance.
- Empathy: Shows compassion for others, makes people feel safe, respected and fairly treated.
Core Competencies – Behavioural Indicators Level 2:
- Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner. Is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own actions and delegated work.
- Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication. Explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – Behavioural Indicators Level 2:
- Leadership: Provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the Organization’s vision. Assists others to realize and develop their leadership and professional potential.
- Empowering others: Creates an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Building Trust: Promotes shared values and creates an atmosphere of trust and honesty.
- Strategic thinking and vision: Works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
- Humility: Leads with humility and shows openness to acknowledging own shortcomings.
- Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations.
- Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
- The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
- The appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
- Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
Application Closing Date
30th March, 2023 (23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland).
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
- Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
- IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
- IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their applications.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.