Action Against Hunger is the world’s hunger specialist and leader in a global movement that aims to end life-threatening hunger for good within our lifetimes. For 40 years, the humanitarian and development organization has been on the front lines, treating and preventing hunger across nearly 50 countries. It served more than 21 million people in 2018 alone.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Area Coordinator
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Duration: 24 Months
Start Date: 3rd January, 2021
- Action Against Hunger started to intervene in Nigeria in 2010, in response to the high rate of chronic malnutrition in Northern Nigeria and focusing on integrated programming.
- In 2011, we grew the operations and implemented nutrition development projects in Jigawa and in Yobe. Following the crises in Northeast Nigeria, we further expanded the activities to address the Nutrition, Health, Food security and livelihoods, WASH, and shelter needs of conflict-affected communities. In the year 2018, 3.5 million people in Nigeria have been able to receive support from ACF. We do operate in 11 Local Government Areas of Borno, 12 in Yobe and 3 in Jigawa.
- Action Against Hunger Nigeria’s programs are endorsed by DFID, ECHO, GAC, OFDA, SDC, UNICEF, EU, USAID, AFD, French Ministry of Foreign affairs, SIDA and UNOCHA NHF. The total budget was amounted of approximately 54 million USD in 2018. ACF Nigeria one of our largest missions as we have more than 600 staff working on the activities.
- Apart from the coordination office in Abuja, there are 3 state offices in Damaturu, Maiduguri and Dutse and four sub bases including Monguno, Potiskum, Bade and Damasak.
- Today, we are looking for our next Area Coordinator in order to lead the operations, manage and support our team of 200 staff in Borno State. You will also be responsible for government seconded staff. The projects implemented are a mix of both humanitarian recovery and development programming. You will manage a base located in the capital where the security context in Borno remains volatile.
- The capital Maiduguri is relatively stable but there are still risks in some LGAs and travel routes, which make the situation a bit unpredictable. ACF has implemented strong security management guidelines and protocols, and is constantly updating the existing measures to guide our operations in the state and ensure our duty of care to all staff.
As Area Coordinator you are responsible for coordinating the whole activities in the area of intervention and managing our teams of 200 staff in all Borno state. Your main objectives are the following:
- You ensure the smooth running of AAH operations, while working on developping programming and strategy in eastern Borno State
- You also look after the support teams in particular for AAH Finance, Human Resources, and Logistics in Borno state
- You are the decision maker and fully responsible for the Safety and Security of AAH staff
- You are the main focal point for field representation of AAH in the area and promote our mandate, charter and principles
- You also manage and support our local implementing partners.
- You have significant experience within INGOs in insecure contexts as Field/Area coordinator.
- Your have experience in project management and coordination in humanitarian response
- You have ideally previous experience with ACF in emergency and post-emergency setups
- You have excellent organisation and prioritization skills in particular handling large scale programs and managing cross-functional teams
- You have outstanding communication and interpersonal skills, and able to foster good working environment among your teams
- You have relevant people management experiences, you are able to identify strengths and weaknesses of each team member, and develop a performance plan in order to enhance the skills of your collaborators
- You have a prior international exposure and have been able to raise your cultural awareness
- You have excellent diplomatic and negotiation skills and are able to converse confidently with diverse stakeholders
- You are autonomous in your work
- You are fluent in English
- You have excellent drafting and written skills.
Why Join Us:
- This position is a real opportunity to strengthen various skills as you will handle multiple projects in different areas and manage large-scale activities in the whole region. Challenges concern the volume of staff and activities to lead but also the difficulty linked to the unpredictable and volatile security context.
Conditions of Employment
- 24 months fixed term contract under French legislation
Retribution and Benefits:
- Monthly gross salary: from €2450 to €2800 upon experience
- Per diem and living allowance: €203 + €312 (eurocost rules) net, field paid.
- + 12 % of monthly gross salary as country allowance.
- + 16% of monthly gross salary as reimbursement of retirement insurance for non-French citizen
- + Child allowance, (capped to 5 children)
Transportation and Accommodation:
- Coverage of transportation costs to and in the mission.
- Individual room in guesthouse covered.
- 100% coverage of medical expenses + repatriation insurance.
Leaves and RnR:
- 25 days of paid leaves per year.
- + 20 RnR per year.
- + 215 € at each RnR period every 12 weeks and coverage of the transportation expenses.
- Free and unlimited access to the certifying e-learning platform Crossknowledge.
- Technical trainings at HQ or regional level (averagely 1 per year).
- Intermission Workshop once a year.
- Participation to external trainings costs upon eligibility of the request.
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online