Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Administrative Intern
Location: Abuja (FCT)
Employment Type: Internship
Date of Internship: 1st November 2022
Length of Internship: 6 months with a possibility of extension depending on funding and performance
Program / Department Summary
- Mercy Corps has been present in Nigeria since 2012, focusing its interventions on humanitarian assistance, economic development, and conflict mitigation. With the ongoing insurgency in Northeast Nigeria causing the displacement of millions of individuals, Mercy Corps started its humanitarian response in 2014 to address the rising humanitarian needs.
- As the crisis has persisted, Mercy Corps’ strategy has also expanded to address the root causes of the conflict and seek to build the long-term resilience of communities with integrated programs focusing on governance, the recovery of markets and livelihoods, social cohesion and social protection, youth empowerment, and local conflict management.
- Operations Department provides key support to the entire country program in procurement, asset management, warehouse management, fleet management and facilities & office management for successful program implementation.
At the end of the internship period, the intern should have acquired the following skills and knowledge:
- Learn to manage relationships with the Program team & external stakeholders
- Demonstrate understanding of discharging administrative functions
- Understand the Mercy Corps process
- Attend to all walk-ins and expected guests of Mercy Corps.
- Always maintain a presence at the front desk and maintain the reception area clean.
- Responsible for maintaining and booking meeting rooms.
- Answer all incoming correspondence and dispatch them to recipients.
- Receiving monthly packages from Portland HQ and other MC Nigeria field offices in coordination with Admin Officer.
- Support in getting signatures from SMT members on behalf of departments and field teams.
- Scanning, photocopies and mail services for the Admin department. Organize a filing system for important and confidential documents.
- Support in making travel arrangements for both national and expatriate staff.
- Collate monthly office supply (stationeries) requisition and distribute items to departments.
- Prepare payment requests and raise PR when necessary.
- Assist the Administrative Officer and Senior Administrative to prepare required paperwork within the department.
- Carry out other duties as may be assigned.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Knowledge and Experience
- A BSc or HND in the Business related field is essential.
- Computer literacy – excel and word.
- A demonstrated ability to multitask and process information into action in a timely manner.
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels, including emails.
- Fluency in English language and local languages.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
- Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges.
- We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity
- Mercy Corps is an equal-opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have a sustained global impact. We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all.
- We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, colour, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Safeguarding & Ethics
- Mercy Corps is committed to ensuring that all individuals we come into contact with through our work, whether team members, community members, program participants or others, are treated with respect and dignity. We are committed to the core principles regarding the prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse laid out by the UN Secretary-General and IASC.
- We will not tolerate child abuse, sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment by or of our team members. As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, respect local laws and customs, and adhere to the Mercy Corps Code of Conduct Policies and values at all times. Team members are required to complete mandatory Code of Conduct eLearning courses upon hire and on an annual basis.
Benefits / Internship Conditions
- The intern will be expected to put in 40 hours weekly.
- The intern will be paid a monthly allowance of NGN 100,000 (5% WHT Inclusive)
- Mercy Corps interns and volunteers represent the agency both during and outside of work hours and are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values always and in all in-country venues.
Application Closing Date
21st October, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Applicants should have their CVs and Cover Letters in one document not more than four (4) pages long, addressing the position requirements.
- Female candidates who are qualified are strongly encouraged to apply.