The British Council is a British organisation specialising in international cultural and educational opportunities. It works in over 100 countries: promoting a wider knowledge of the United Kingdom and the English language; encouraging cultural, scientific, technological and educational co-operation with the United Kingdom.
The British Council is governed by a Royal Charter. It is also a public corporation and an executive nondepartmental public body (NDPB), sponsored by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office. Its headquarters are near Trafalgar Square. Its chairman is Christopher Rodrigues, its CEO is Sir Ciarán Devane and its chief operating officer is Andy Williams.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: ACT Consultant (OD Specialist)
Locations: FCT, Lagos, Kano, Sokoto, Edo, Adamawa, Borno and Rivers
Assignment Title: Development of Tool Kits/Handbooks and Training of Civil Society Organizations
Pay Band: Part Time
Department: Education & Society
Job Category: Education (non Teaching)
- This assignment is to support the ACT Programme to strengthen Civil Society Organisational Capacity through the development of toolkits which will be used to train ACT supported CSOs on its use and also, to contribute to the deliverables listed in this ToR.
- This Terms of Reference is a call for registered consultants who are skilled in various areas of organisational development. ACT seeks to engage the services of consultants to develop toolkits and train CSOs in any of the following areas:
- Mainstreaming Equality Diversity and Inclusion in NGO
- Stakeholder Analysis and Mapping
- Project Management Cycle
- Advocacy and rights-based strategy
- Risk analysis/ Mitigation framework
- 360 degrees’ appraisal system
- Communications and media engagement for NGOs
- Research and Analysis
- IT & Social networking for NGOs
- Monitoring Evaluation and Knowledge Management for NGOs
- Strategic planning and budgeting for NGOs
- Fundraising for NGOs
- Financial Management for NGOs
- In response to this call for Organisational Development experts, consultants are expected to be registered to operate as a business entity, and also expected to specify areas (at most 2) where they have expertise to deliver on this consultancy.
- This assignment should commence in February 2020, therefore, applications should be sent in by 18 February 2020
- Organizations interested should send in CVs and expression of interest indicating evidence of relevant work previously done.
The Agents for Citizen-driven Transformation (ACT) programme was designed by the EU as its response strategy on the need to invest and engage more with the Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) in 7 states & FCT (Lagos, Kano, Sokoto, Edo, Adamawa, Borno and Rivers state).
Recognizing that strengthened Civil Society actors have great potential to contribute to the achievement of sustainable development in Nigeria if their capabilities as drivers of change are enhanced, the ACT programme will implement innovative actions that will support the strengthening of institutional mechanisms, structures and processes aimed at improving the internal, external and programmatic environments of selected CSOs, networks, and coalitions.
It will also seek to facilitate an improvement in the current complex regulatory environment through strategic support that promotes self-regulatory mechanisms amongst selected CSOs, as well as interrogate the possibilities and support the process of evolving a functional and effective national regulatory framework that will be acceptable to all stakeholders.
The ACT programme is funded by the European Union under the 11th European Development Fund and is managed by the British Council. The programme will be implemented over a period of five years from July 2018, with the first 6 months serving as the programme’s Inception Phase for the development of strategies for full programme implementation and will support the EU to strengthen the voice of civil society across all its current programmes.
The Objectives of this Assignment
The objective of this assignment is to develop and deliver organisational development toolkits and training materials to strengthen the capacity of ACT Civil Society partners. This will deepen NGO Knowledge of Organisational systems that:
- Demonstrate how NGOs should effectively function
- Provides Civil Society Organisations with tools to create strategies, enhance policies and deliver on their organisational objectives
Approach and Activities:
- The Consultant will be required to develop organisational development toolkits and handbooks and to facilitate training sessions on the use of organisational development toolkits and handbooks
- The consultant shall provide the services and deliver the deliverables to the British Council, with reasonable skill, care and ability in accordance with the standards set by British Council in any contractual agreement associated with these Terms of Reference.
Scope of Work:
- The role of the consultant(s) is to work under the supervision of the ACT Component 1 team to Research and draft Organisational Development toolkits for ACT supported CSOs and to deliver trainings on the use of developed toolkits.
The deliverables for this assignment include:
- Organisational development toolkits developed (following several rounds of drafts, reviews and revisions)
- ACT Civil Society partners trained on the use of organisational development toolkits and handbooks
- Develop and share pre training and post training evaluation forms (for ACT CS partners) with the ACT
- Administer and share consolidated finding of the evaluation exercises with the ACT Team
- Details of each facilitation/training exercise including data of all participants of the exercise, the venue and the date (ACT attendance register sheets will be provided)
- Risk remains with travel, we do not envisage specific risks at this stage, however, security advice will be provided on the relevant State prior to commencing the consultancy. 6. Monitoring & Evaluation
- ACT will monitor progress towards the achievement of the Deliverables closely
Timing and Resources:
- TBD after ACT review of expressions of interest. 8. Management Arrangements
- The Component one Team Leader will be responsible for the day-to-day as well as oversight management of this assignment.
This Consultancy firm has been selected on the following basis:
- Registered to operate as a consultancy firm in Nigeria
- Knowledge of organisational development
- Evidence of previous experience on developing organisational development toolkits and handbooks
- Evidence of previous work relevant to training and facilitation exercises for CSOs
- Previous Organisational Development experience (at least 10 years of supporting OD)
- Evidence of Knowledge of the CS environment (Including NGOs, CBOs & Networks)
- Holds at least a Master’s Degree
- Have expressed ability to travel
- Have at least 10 years of working in the NGO sector in Nigeria
- Have the ability to write a technical report in a clear and concise manner without losing key details and salient points from the discussion.
Application Closing Date
18th February, 2020 at 23:59hrs (Nigeria time).
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should download, fill and send the completed “ACT Expression of Interest Form” and their CV to: NG-FCR.HR@ng.britishcouncil.org using the Job Title as the subject of the email.
Click here to apply online