Shell Petroleum Development Company (SPDC) is the pioneer and leader of the petroleum industry in Nigeria. We invest heavily in our employees, which is reflected in our industry-leading development programme and our commitment to see our employees’ ideas travel and come to fruition.
We invite applications from suitably qualified candidates for the:
Title: 2019 Niger Delta Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme
- The Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria Limited (SPDC), operator of the SPDC Joint Venture, is delighted to announce the Ninth annual SPDC JV Niger Delta Postgraduate Scholarship for applicants from Bayelsa, Delta, Imo and Rivers states. The objective of the scholarship programme is to provide postgraduate study opportunity in courses that are relevant to the oil and gas industry, for qualifying students from these Niger Delta States
- In the eight years of this programme, 79 students have won the opportunity to study at top-rated universities in the UK on full scholarship
- For the academic year commencing September 2019, SPDC in partnership with three universities in the UK: Imperial College London; University of Leeds; and University of Aberdeen will award scholarships for one-year Postgraduate M.Sc. studies.
The following courses qualify for award of scholarships at the three institutions:
Imperial College London
- M.Sc Petroleum Engineering
- M.Sc Petroleum Geoscience.
University of Abeerdeen
- M.Sc Geophysics
- M.Sc Safety & Reliability Engineering for Oil & Gas
- M.Sc Advanced Chemical Engineering
- M.Sc Integrated Petroleum Geoscience.
University of Leeds
- M.Sc Exploration Geophysics
- M.Sc Electronic/Electrical Engineering.
To qualify for the scholarship, applicants must:
- Display sound intellectual ability and leadership potential.
- Meet the individual university’s English Language requirements (usually at least 6.5 in IELTS score valid for Sept. 2018 admission). Please note that TOEFL is no longer recognised by most UK universities. Candidates are advised that failure to meet each university’s English Language requirement at the time of selection may invalidate their application.
- Be aged between 21-28 years by 30/09/2019.
- Be an indigene of Rivers, Delta, Imo or Bayelsa states (documentary proof of this will be required and will be verified).
- Currently reside in Nigeria.
- Plan to return to Nigeria on completion of the proposed programme of study.
- Have obtained a university degree (at least of equivalent standard to a UK Second Class Upper Honours degree).
- Not have studied previously in the UK or any other developed country
- Have a Nigerian international passport valid till December 2020
- Be neither a current nor former employee (who has left employment less than 5 years before) of SPDC or the Royal Dutch Shell Group or any Shell company or the local Nigerian consultant
- Not be a spouse, child or ward of staff of Shell Companies in Nigeria or the local Nigerian consultant
- The scholarship will cover tuition, one economy return-flight ticket from Nigeria to the UK and a contribution towards living expenses only*.
- Please note that the stipends (living expenses) are based on the Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU) published living rates and are limited to this only.
- This is a non-committal scholarship. Note that NEITHER SPDC NOR any Shell company is obligated to offer employment of any sort to any candidate upon graduation, neither are successful candidates bonded to SPDC for any period of time on account of the scholarship award.
Application Closing Date
15th June, 2019.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their applications for admission to any of the participating universities for any of the qualifying courses.
Application forms for the scholarship will ONLY be available through the websites of the Imperial College London, the University of Leeds and University of Aberdeen, following a formal offer of admission by the university.
- The universities will process applications and select candidates to attend interviews before being considered for final selection
- Completed scholarship application forms must reach participating universities and the local Nigerian consultant not later than the deadline above
- More information on specific course admission requirements can be obtained from the websites of the three individual universities