Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we collaborate to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within, now and for the future. In Nigeria, Mercy Corps operates in over 13 states focusing on key thematic areas of humanitarian response, conflict mitigation and adolescent girls’ empowerment.
We are recruiting to fill the positions below:
1. Job Title: ENGINE Enumerator
Location: Lagos, Abuja, Kaduna, Kano
- Mercy Corps has worked in Nigeria since 2012, focusing its interventions on adolescent girls’ empowerment, humanitarian programming, economic development and conflict mitigation.
- The ENGINE project is the flagship education project under the adolescent girls and gender programming in Mercy Corps. In recent time, other gender-focused projects like Always Keeping Girls in School (AKGIS) funded by Procter & Gamble and ECOSAT (direct funding) have been joined to the existing gender programming portfolio.
- Fundamental to Mercy Corps programmatic approach to improving adaptive learning process is the practice of conducting frequent research and analysis to better understand the dynamics of these interventions or other contextual environment will shape programming and continuous learning to inform evidence-based decisions.
- The AKGIS project has completed nearly all its planned activities over the project lifecycle and expected to conduct an impact assessment to assess the results attributable to the project and also inform future programming. Relatedly, the ECOSAT program still in its inception phase is planning a baseline assessment (evaluation) prior to launching the intensive phase. These projects will necessitate the frequent commissioning of series of quantitative and qualitative research expected to cover a range of related activities including;
- Household or individual surveys (baseline, midterm and or endline)
- Participants registrations and mapping/profiling exercises
- Ad-hoc assessments of key interventions (e.g pilots)
- To reduce the need for recurrent recruitment process to engage the needed enumerators, the ENGINE II (MEL Team) is seeking to develop a pool of ready-to-go-to personnel for the various research-related activities. These research activities will use numerous techniques including structured survey questionnaires for individuals, businesses and institutions, focus group discussions, key informant interviews and other appropriate project-specific methodologies.
Objective of the Assignment:
- The overarching objective of these enumerators selection is to generate a labor pool which can be drawn upon to provide suitable, on-demand field enumerators primarily responsible for the acquisition and entry of qualitative/quantitative field data using mobile platforms (e.g. TolaData or CommCare).
- The enumerators will have direct contact with respondents and have a great bearing on the quality of data collected and ultimately on the quality of data output.
- Different criteria including but not limited to; experience in research and/or data collection, knowledge in certain technical areas, contextual understanding and familiarity with local language of defined data collection area would be important steps in selection of enumerators for any assignment.
The enumerators will be expected to carry out the following tasks:
- Responsible for collecting high quality data, entering data and any other responsibilities. Data collection process will include interviews, focus group discussions (FDGs) using an electronic data collection tool designed by Mercy Corps.
- Transcribe and code data from qualitative researches
- Identify and report any issues that may arise while attempting to obtain valid data
- Interpret interview questions to assist respondents in understanding them and providing eloquent answers
- Double check information on survey forms or information pads to ensure the accuracy of information
- Engage in data entry in cases where paper base options are used
- Comply with quality and research ethics during and field works (this includes data protection and information confidentiality of respondents or target project participants)
- Participate in a less than or half day debrief sessions to share field experiences about the community and entire data collection process
- Enumerators are expected to be respectful of the community and community leadership and membership at all times.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Enumerator should have a minimum of an NCE/Diploma
- The enumerator should have basic ICT skills
- Enumerator should have basic assessment skills in data collection, preferably in mobile data collection
- Enumerator must be able to read, write and speak fluently in English language and possess ability to communicate in local language in the community (preferably Yoruba and/or Hausa)
- Enumerator must have good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Previous experience and working understanding of selected communities is an added advantage.
- Must be flexible to work and available to respond to comments and questions in a timely and appropriate manner.
- High regard for cultural norms and traditions.
- Demonstrate patience and good leadership skills.
- Willing to learn new things and have a volunteering spirit.
- The engagement of enumerators will be need-based and dependent on the timeframe required for each assignment as indicated in the RFP.
- Reports directly to: MEL Advisor
- Works directly with: ENGINE Program (MEL Team)
Application Closing Date
3rd May, 2019.
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their CV and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: email@example.com All applications must include the position title and location in the subject line.
- Only short-listed candidates with the appropriate subject line will be contacted for interview and we are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
- Female candidates will be considered strongly to reflect gender mainstreaming as practiced in Mercy Corps.
2. Job Title: Senior Procurement Officer
Reference Number: MDG/HUMOPS/2019/00045
Location: Maiduguri – Borno
Program / Department Summary
- Mercy Corps has been present in Nigeria since December 2012, focusing its interventions on adolescent girls’ empowerment, economic development and conflict mitigation. In mid-2014 Mercy Corps has decided to address the rising humanitarian needs among displaced households and vulnerable host communities by in the north east Nigeria and started its humanitarian program.
- With funding from humanitarian donors including OFDA, FFP, EU and ECHO the humanitarian program has been focusing on food assistance, non-food items distribution, protection, livelihoods support, WASH and capacity building of humanitarian response actors.
- All Mercy Corps interventions in Nigeria are implemented in a conflict and gender sensitive manner.
General Position Summary
- The Senior Procurement Officer is responsible for overseeing the procurement aspects of Mercy Corps’ logistic operation.
- Working closely with Program, Administration, Finance and Logistics the Senior Procurement Officer is instrumental in supporting program activities through his/her services.
Essential Job Functions
- The Senior Procurement Officer will conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Coordinate daily MCN procurement activities.
- Ensure that the procurement department supports the programs efficiently and compliantly.
- Understand MC procurement policies and formats. Provide training to staff on these policies.
- Assist Program and Operational personnel in regular procurement planning meetings.
- Assist staff as needed on timely completion of purchase requests and other documentation.
- Interact with contractors, in coordination with the Program & Operation Managers.
- Ensure that the required documentation of supplies and transactions are completed to MC standards.
- Prepare of status reports on deliveries for P&L and office Management and recipient of supplies.
- Coordinate with the Warehouse on delivery of items including completion of Goods Received Notes, storage of items and transfer of items to field sites.
- Regularly produce purchase status and completed purchases reports using the Ongoing PR Master List and PR Master List.
- Ensure that Mercy Corps’ procurement activities are legal and moral.
- Enforce proper use of procurement ceilings and approval procedures.
- Carryout the procurement of goods, works and services for all the PRs above USD $20,000 – as per Mercy Corps standards and formats.
- Carryout the procurement of national consultants services (all values) – as per Mercy Corps standards and formats.
- Oversee the establishment of various Master Agreements (MPAs and MSAs) for commonly used items – as per Mercy Corps standards and formats.
- Assist in the maintenance of thorough procurement files. Ensure that the procurement filing system is in place and in accordance with the Procurement filing procedures as outlined in the FP3.
- Assist the P&L management and office staff with procurement activities, as required.
- Coordinate with the Finance Department to ensure that payments to vendors are made on-time and without any unnecessary strain on the financial systems of MC
- Assist P&L Management with asset management. Identify assets during the course of procurement and notify the Asset Controller on receipts of assets.
- Maintain file on market prices for commonly-bought items.
- Perform any other reasonable duties that deem necessary as assigned by the supervisor
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback via regular performance reviews.
- Supervise, hire and orient new team members as necessary.
- Provide team members with information, tools and other resources to improve performance and reach objectives.
- Contribute to country team-building efforts, help team members identify problem-solving options and ensure the integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes.
- Carries out other duties as assigned.
- The Operations Officer will conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Supervisory Responsibility: Directly supervises the Procurement Assistant and Procurement Intern
- Reports Directly To: Operations Manager
- Works Directly With: Operations Team, Finance Team, Co-ordinates with Mercy Corps program and operations staff regarding procurement planning and activities
Knowledge and Experience
- Degree in a relevant business field is desired. 2-3 years of experience in large scale supply chain management and/ or international business.
- Strong organizational skills; ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel. Excellent oral and written English skills.
- High level of computer skills on MS Office programs.
- A demonstrated ability to multi-task and process information into action as to not delay program activities.
- A clear understanding of procurement ethics and donor compliance is essential.
- Certification in procurement/supply chain management is an advantage
- Knowledge of Sphere standards and other training in humanitarian response preferred.
- The Senior Procurement Officer is conscientious with an excellent sense of judgement. S/he has the ability to work simultaneously on multiple tasks and a willingness and ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people. They have the ability to work as part of a team and coordinate with project personnel.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions:
- The position is based in Maiduguri, Borno State and it requires travel between field offices in Northeast Nigeria.
Applications Closing Date
3rd May, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit no more than 4 page CV and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- All applications must include the position title and Reference Number in the subject line.
- CV and cover letter and should not be more than 4 pages.
- Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview and we are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.